The humble green bean is one of the most popular and readily available vegetables. You can find fresh green beans in just about every food market produce section. They are also available canned, frozen, dehydrated, and even packaged as a crispy snack.
Fresh green beans are nutrient dense. They are quite low in calories. Yet, they are high in dietary fiber. 100 grams of raw green beans are only 31 calories and provide 100 grams of fiber. These beans are an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, and folate.
Preparation of Green Beans
I can’t resist eating raw, crisp green beans right off the vine in my backyard garden. There is something amazing about that snap and fresh spring flavor.
Green beans are most often steamed or sautéed. They can also be deep fried with a light tempura batter. I personally like to coat them with olive oil, salt, and pepper and roast them in a hot oven until slightly browned on the exterior and still crisp and moist on the interior. I have also successfully grilled and smoked green beans. In fact, smoked green beans are crazy good.
I recently cooked green beans in my air fryer and was blown away by how quickly they cooked and how much the flavor and texture were just like my oven roasted beans. I have prepared a basic air fried green bean recipe that you can eat as a side dish or use to make a salad and serve warm or chilled. An easy green bean salad recipe is included.
I also have prepared a recipe for Asian inspired haricot verts. Haricot verts are French green beans that are slenderer and more tender than standard green beans. They will cook a little bit faster in an air fryer. You can substitute regular green beans in this recipe.
Easy Air Fryer Green Beans
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans
- 2 tsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Salt and pepper for serving
Total time:12 min – Prep time:4 min – Cook time:8 min – Serves:2 people
1. Rinse the green beans under cold water and drain on paper towels. Trim the stem ends off of the beans.
2. Turn the air fryer on to 390°F and preheat for 3 minutes.
3. Place the dried and trimmed beans in a bowl. Add the oil, salt, and pepper and toss to coat the beans.
4. Place as many green beans as will fit in a single layer in the fryer basket or on the crisper plate. Cook the beans for 3 minutes. Shake the bucket to rotate the beans. Cook for 3 minutes more and check the beans for tenderness. Shake the bucket again and continue to cook for an additional 2 to 4 minutes until the beans are the way you enjoy them. Note: I like greens beans with a little bite to them, so mine only took about 7 minutes. Many enjoy them more well done and softer. Cook for up to 10 minutes.
5. Repeat with the second batch of green beans, if necessary. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and serve warm or make into a green bean salad. A quick salad recipe follows.
Green Bean Salad
- 1/2 pound air fried green beans (see above recipe)
- 2 TBS chopped toasted walnuts
- 2 TBS chopped red onion
- 2 TBS minced fresh flat leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tsps walnut oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Total time: 10 min – Prep time: 8 min – Cook time: 2 min – Serves: 2 people
1. Place the cooked green beans in a serving dish.
2. In a skillet over medium heat, toast the walnuts until they are fragrant, approximately 2 minutes. Set the toasted walnuts aside.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, and mustard until well combined. Season with a pinch or two of salt and pepper.
4. Pour the dressing over the green beans. Add the chopped onions and minced parsley to the dressed beans and toss gently to combine. Chop the toasted walnuts and top the salad with them.
5. Serve the warm salad with your dinner or refrigerate for serving later.
Asian Style Air Fryer Green Beans
- 1/2 pound haricot verts (French green beans)*
- 2 tsps toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsps coconut aminos
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Juice of 1/4 fresh lime
- Sesame seeds for garnish
*You can substitute regular green beans.
Total time: 10 min – Prep time: 4 min – Cook time: 6 min – Serves: 2 people
1. Rinse the green beans under cold water and drain on paper towels. Trim the stem ends off of the beans. Place the beans in a bowl.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, coconut aminos, ginger, salt, pepper, and garlic. Pour this over the beans and toss to coat. Set aside.
3. Turn the air fryer on to 390°F and preheat for 3 minutes.
4. Place as many green beans as will fit in a single layer in the fryer basket or on the crisper plate. Cook the beans for 3 minutes. Shake the bucket to rotate the beans. Cook for 3 minutes more and check the beans for tenderness. Continue to cook until the beans are as tender as you like them.
Note: If using regular green beans, you may have to cook them for approximately 8 minutes because they are generally a bit thicker than haricot verts.
5. Repeat with the second batch of green beans, if necessary. Place the green beans in a serving dish. Squeeze the lemon juice over the beans and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve warm.
What to Serve with Air Fried Green Beans
In my childhood home, we had a birthday tradition where my mother would ask what we would like for our birthday dinner and that is what everyone ate that night. The only catch was that we had to choose one protein, one starch, and one vegetable. We weren’t allowed to have just a giant bowl of boxed macaroni and cheese, which any kid might have asked for.
For as long as I can remember, my requested birthday meal was always grilled beef steak, a baked potato with sour cream, and green beans. Sometimes the beans came from a can or the freezer. It all depended on how much time my mom had to prepare. I still liked it. Here are some other pairings to try.
Meatloaf & Mashed Potatoes
Fresh, air fried green beans are really a treat. Basic AF green beans are a natural match for meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and gravy. This is a classic blue plate special at many diners. Try this substantial air fryer meatloaf recipe made with beef, turkey, and vegetables to have with your green beans with.
Blackened Tilapia & Tomato Rice
If you have tried the green bean salad recipe, you might want to pair this refreshing dish with air fryer blackened tilapia and southern style rice made with tomatoes. The salad and rice balance the spices that coat the fish.
Are you vegan, or simply looking for a Meatless Monday meal? Asian style air fryer green beans are a perfect compliment to grilled tofu. If you are feeling adventurous, add a steaming scoop of sticky rice and a few slices of grilled pineapple.
Leave a Reply